Friday, June 25, 2010

Death Dropped By

Death dropped by last night. I didn't expect him, but he was lonely and I was available.

What's up, I asked.

Same old shit, he said. You have no idea how hard this job is. Absolutely no one wants to see me. Ever.

Must be lonely.

Lonely, he said, you can't imagine. Most of them die as soon as they see me. Do you know hard that makes it to have a meaningful relationship? Or even get a date?

Oh, I can imagine.

Well, let me tell you; it's damned frustrating. Sometimes, I'd just like to cuddle, but I'm not into corpses. Yuck.

Death isn't much of a conversationalist. Mostly he just whines. It's all about him. He tends to ramble.

I just quietly let him talk.

Have to be going, he said finally. Must meet the soon to be dead. Rush, rush, rush... and Santa Claus thinks he has it bad. Thanks for listening. See you soon.

No hurry, I replied.

I swear his lipless face smiled as he turned and left.

It took awhile before I realized I had just been spared.

Sometimes, it pays to be a good listener.

 - mce

1 comment:

  1. Spared for now but not forever.
    People like to say-my life was saved!
    But they say it like it is forever.
    Why are we so afraid of dieing?
    Why does everyone run from it?

    As someone once said "We're not getting out of this alive".

    Nothing is sure but death and taxes!

    ReplyDelete